Sunday, April 13, 2008

Headwork

Here are some pencils of Nilla. I'm still messing with some style/technical issues. On the one hand, I hate to ink, so I'm tempted to just skip that and stick with the pencils. Photoshop cleans them up to some degree, and what the heck, how clean do they need to be? I like some of the liveliness of straight pencil, but I admit my pencils are pretty sloppy.

The other issue is that it means drawing everything straight, because the pencils are harder to manipulate in photoshop. At least with my primitive PS skills, it's not worth the work to collage things together working from pencils. The inked versions are easier to cut and paste with. So, we'll see which variety of lazy-assedness prevails in the long run. Right now, I kinda like the pencils, though I plan to go a little cleaner than what you see here.

You can see that I haven't entirely honed Nilla's look down, either. While consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds, it's generally considered de rigueur for comix. Pretty soon I'm going to have to decide just how square Nilla's jaw is and stuff like that. However, with that hair and that dress, I figure she's already pretty easy to pick out of a crowd. What's messing me up here is that while I'm working on Li'l Nilla and Li'l Nilla, Zombie Killa, I'm also working with more grown up manifestations of her for Eaton Pye, He-Man Artist and various little side projects.

No comments: